Laboratory diagnostic to improve turn-around-time
- A laboratory tested and analysed oil samples to enable their customers to make decisions relating to the maintenance of their assets.
- The laboratory was suffering from poor sample turn-around-time (TAT) and had a goal to reduce it significantly to remain competitive. Staff blamed old equipment as the major contributor but leadership wanted confirmation of the benefit prior to making investment decisions.
- ImpRes was asked to complete an assessment of the current state of the laboratory to better understand where time was being wasted and to provide a roadmap of improvements to bridge the TAT gap.
- Process mapped the oil analysis process to understand and identify opportunities for process optimisation.
- Matched manually collected data with machine timestamps to determine the largest activities contributing to TAT, then categorised the activities as value adding or non-value adding.
- Identified current bottleneck and likely changes to the bottleneck with the introduction of new equipment.
- Used driver trees to estimate the value of generated ideas, both reduction in TAT and cost benefit. The ideas were then prioritised given estimated value and ease of implementation .
- Implemented a number of quick win improvements to reduce the impact of the current bottleneck
- Provided the client with a Roadmap that included recommended process improvements, improvement ideas, key decisions and next steps.
- The client used the Roadmap and information provided to justify additional funding for the laboratory to improve its competitiveness.